Four church names, two locations and more than a century of building growth outline the evolution of Webster United Methodist.
Founded in 1893 as a Sunday School which met in members’ homes, the group grew to church status with the aid of visiting pastors from St. Louis.
Two of the most frequent visitors were a Methodist Episcopal pastor and a Disciples of Christ pastor. By 1895, the group split between the two denominations, and 11 Methodists signed a charter to found the Tuxedo Park Methodist Episcopal Church, located at 667 Atalanta Ave., Webster Groves, which is now a private home.
By 1909, the basement of the current church was built at 600 North Bompart Ave., Webster Groves, and the rest of the original building followed in 1915.
From 1916-1930, the church was known as the Hagerty Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church, named after the pastor and benefactor, Dr. Thomas Hagerty.
The third church moniker, First United Methodist Church, held from 1930-2016, indicating its status as the first Methodist church in Webster Groves.
Construction began on the three-floor education wing in 1951 to add classroom space for some 400 Sunday School students, products of the post-war baby boom. The building was remodeled to its current state in 1961, creating the sanctuary as it is now.
Our church name, Webster United Methodist, was adopted in 2016 as part of the Healthy Church Initiative, a renewal process which aids churches in addressing 21st Century needs and challenges.